Thursday, January 26, 2012

Questions about planting Chinese Wisterias?

I just bought 3 of these and want to know a little about:





1. How deep to drop them in the ground?


2. Do I need to plant them near anything (so they'll climb)? I read that they'll climb, but I don't prefer that.


3. Assuming I plant them alone, will they hang and not break?

Questions about planting Chinese Wisterias?
Put them in the ground at the same level as they were growing before they were uprooted. If you want them to climb, you will have to plant them close to a wall or trellis. They will need to be "trained" to climb. If you plant them alone, and don't want them to climb, prune them back to one main trunk line, and allow it to branch out at the top. It is best to never plant just one, as they have better pollination if two or more are planted. If you have heavy snow and ice in your area, it can be a problem and cause breakage of the vines. You may have to prop the limbs up during the winter to keep them from breaking under the weight.
Reply:Don't plant them near anything you don't want covered with wisteria. Plan on at least two big battles a year with them to keep them under control. And I hope you like bees.





I have two sets of wisteria that I'm in a constant fight with to keep from climbing over my house or up a telephone pole into the power lines. They're pretty and smell nice, but they are definitely a chore to keep up with.

phone

No comments:

Post a Comment